Terrified but focused:



I woke up at 4 AM this morning to a fast beating heart, and a sobering realization. I am 52 days out from an approximately 8 hour long gravel bike race and 66 days out from an approximately 8 hour long mountain run. I am also currently recovering from one of the worst stomach flus I have ever experienced in my life. Thank you Mexico!

At this point I have a few options, one of them is to quit. But I already paid my entry fees and so I am (at this point) going for it. This is the time to “put up or shut up”, “fish or cut bait”, or “do what I already did too much of last week in Mexico”.

In my humble opinion, it is adversity that brings out the best in us. And I am banking on that over the next few weeks. I want to do well in these races, I want to have FUN during these races, and I want to recover well from both of these events. I have a few things going for me.

#1 I worked hard this winter to create a healthy recovered body and a solid base for a great training program.
#2 I’m old, and hopefully wiser for it. I know that completing the races are my goal, but I refuse to stress over things I can’t control like the fitness I can’t make up for in the next 6 weeks.
#3 I’m focused. My schedule for the next 6 weeks revolves around training, job and family and not much else. If I use my time wisely I can sleep well, eat well, and train well for the best possible outcome.
#4 With only 6 weeks to train I have very little chance of an overuse injury! HA! The glass is always half full.

But I am also working through several speedbumps to get to my goal. My gut is trashed, my endurance is trashed, and my fitness isn’t so hot either. Heck I haven’t even bought running shoes for my race yet! But you know what? I GOT THIS! And if I don’t that is ok too. I am leaving it up to God, good nutrition, and an amazingly supportive family to get me through the next 9.5 weeks. 

I have learned in life, it is the challenges that we fear the most, that are the most rewarding to achieve. When you are afraid to fail, you can easily become afraid to live. 

Is there something in your life that you committed to and are thinking of backing away from? Or something that scares you and is keeping you from a better satisfaction in life? Trust in yourself and your ability to beat adversity. 

Have courage, be fearless.  Get out there and LIVE! We only have one life, so make the most of it.

See ya on the gravel and trails!

Caryn Moxey is the owner of PURENERGY Fitness and has been a personal trainer since 1999. She enjoys doing anything outdoors with family and friends. She also raises 24 (she bought more) crazy chickens and loves to garden and grow apples.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mail order meals... we tried three and picked a favorite!

A story of how exercise can help improve depression: