Tasty dessert!


It's Friday night, I have energy  and motivation to cook and I want something goooood. I start shopping the foodie blogs for some inspiration. I was really motivated for dessert so that is where I started. I saw this amazing thing called Swoon Pie on Southern Living a few days ago… a little too luxurious for this weekend. So I gravitated to the homemade snickerdoodles I saw on the same site.

(I was tempted to post a picture of the swoon pie and snickerdooldes here but I won't torture all of us.)

I have no willpower with baked goods on my counters. I am pretty sure they call my name to be eaten. Most of the time they call me on the way home in the car and by the time I get home I am salivating. I have found that if I cook something the whole family will love there is less chance for leftovers. So I wanted to run it by the 6 year old and husband to make sure this stuff would get eaten. I hate it when my Friday night baking weaknesses are still around 4 days later.
6 year old was stoked, but I ran into a problem with the husband. He is on a serious healthy eating kick and has been doing a great job with it. I am pretty proud of him. He has lost 26lbs since we opened our gym! I am definitely not going to mess with his motivation, in fact I am doing the best I can to encourage his hard work.
So the snickerdoodles were out. I remembered seeing Ina Garten making a mean Pear Clafouti on her show this week while I was treadmilling and checked out the recipe. Heavy cream, butter, sugar in copious amounts… CRAP that sounds F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! Damn my husband on the health kick, though I love him dearly for making me accountable too.
Then I found a recipe for a lighter version of Clafouti. 
Woohoo! I added my own little bits with what I had on hand and voila!

Yumm-O This makes 4 servings so it is healthy but you still get to eat a nice size piece!



Before baking

Kid approved batter!
Nutrition info
Clafouti is a French pastry, sort of a custardy pancake with fruit layered in it like a tart. It works great with apples, pears and strawberries. If you want to add a little extra sweetness you can add whipped cream, ice cream or a little Maple Syrup (the real stuff). 
 We began the meal with beefalo steaks on the grill with a pinot noir and balsamic reduction. I had a side of steamed brussel sprouts and the boys went for green beans. Not a bad night! (Excpet for the dishes).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mail order meals... we tried three and picked a favorite!

A story of how exercise can help improve depression:

How I got rid of my social media addiction without losing access to social media.